top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I know if I am depressed?

Depression is a serious and common illness. Everyone will occasionally feel sad. When the sadness is pervasive and interferes with one's daily life, it could be clinical depression. At Walter's Walk, therapists regularly use the BSI (Brief Symptom Inventory) to assess the possibility of depression and/or other psychiatric disorders.

Q: What can be done for high levels of anxiety?

Anxiety is a state of unease that all human beings experience to some degree. Being able to identify events, surroundings, situations, people or words that precipitate that anxiety is the first step in dealing with high levels of anxiety.  Some possible solutions include medication, talk therapy, relaxation techniques or exercise . At Walter’s Walk, we have Tai Chi, Yoga, massage therapy, as well as, counselors who can assist in talk therapy and relaxation techniques.

Q: I have heard about Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), what is it?

EMDR is psychotherapy technique used to reprocess a traumatic or stressful event/memory. This is done through a series of bilateral eye movements, tones or taps. The memory is brought to consciousness, the negative beliefs about self are identified, related emotions are expressed and a preferred positive statement is affirmed.  Therapists at Walter’s Walk are able to assist you in learning more about EMDR.  You may also visit 

Q: How do I know if I have PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder)?

Being evaluated by a counselor will help identify if you suffer from PTSD. Some of the symptoms include nightmares, intrusive thoughts/memories ( also known as flashbacks ), feeling alone, self-harm behaviors, feelings of suicide, feeling on edge and trouble sleeping. Walter’s Walk has therapists who have training in the treatment of PTSD. This includes certification in EMDR and hypnosis. These techniques have proven to be helpful in healing from PTSD.

Q: How do I pay for the services?

If you have insurance, we will bill your insurance company.  We accept cash, check or credit/debit card for your copay.  If you do not have insurance, we can work with you on a sliding scale.  However, no one will be turned away because of inability to pay for services.

Q: My child does not pay attention when I speak to him/her or when he/she is in school. What do I do?

You can have your child evaluated to discover any stresses he or she may be experiencing.  Several therapists at Walter’s Walk specialize in child therapy.

Q: My spouse and I argue all the time, without any resolution. What can help us?

Often couples have poor communication skills due to lack of role models, intense stress in the relationship or lack of knowledge about healthy communication.  Many therapists at Walter’s Walk are trained by Interpersonal Communication to teach Couple Communication classes and Individual Communication classes.

Q: I am experiencing prolonged grief. What can I do to move through the sadness?

Dealing with changes whether due to death, loss of one's job, children moving out of the home or divorce can be very difficult. Talking with a therapist can help you work through the many new paths that are now placed before you. Walter’s Walk has grief support groups which may also help you work through your sadness.

Q:  What can a spiritual advisor provide?

He/she can provide accompaniment on a journey of spiritual awareness.  Exploring a deeper relationship with the spiritual aspect of one's life. It can take one of two forms: Formal Spiritual Direction or Informal Spiritual Guidance. Formal Spiritual Direction is more defined with a director and directee. Meetings are usually arranged in advance on a regular basis. Informal Spiritual Guidance is characterized by less defined roles and spontaneous meetings. Walter's Walk provides more formal spiritual direction to ensure your needs are met.

Q:  What does LPC, PLPC, and CIT mean?

Each title represents the level of qualifications of our clinician's.

LPC: Licensed Professional Counselors are mental health service providers with a master’s degree who are trained to work with individuals, families and groups in treating mental, behavioral and emotional problems and disorders.

PLPC: Provisional Licensed Professional Counselors are individuals who are provisionally licensed to provide Mental Health Counseling and Psychotherapy Services to the public under the active supervision of a Board-Approved Supervisor while working toward independent licensure.

CIT: Counselor in Training are professionals graduated with masters, waiting to pass the Licenser exam. 

bottom of page